Sunday 5 October 2014

A Fault in Our Stars?

So I thought it's about time I post again as well as review this film. I don't even know where to begin with 'The Fault In Our Stars' movie wise, because even with any negatives I'm going to say nothing will account for the fact the movie was so amazing that my friend and I couldn't move or talk for 10 minutes after the ending.

Firstly, I want to apologise for the title, there is no pun I could do with the title what-so-ever ((trust me I googled puns.)) But anyway, the film.


The Fault In Our Stars is a film rendition of the same titled book (The Fault In Our Stars // TFIOS) by John Green. TFIOS tells the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster (Shailene Woodley), a 16 year old girl, stricken with Stage 4 Thyroid cancer with metastasis forming in her lungs, surviving off the experimental drug Phalaxifor and her oxygen tank. She believes her life is written out for her until her mother Frannie (Laura Dern) persuades her to go to a support group, where she meets Augustus Waters (Ansel Elgort) where her life story changes.

Augustus, a 17 year old with one leg and a cancer survivor, and Hazel's not so ordinary love story is portrayed perfectly in the film- their connection really strong and beautiful. However, it isn't just the two of those connections you can feel in the book. All the characters in the book are played beautifully, especially the friendship of Augustus and Isaac (Nat Wolff) and the mother/daughter relationship between Frannie and Hazel. The acting in TFIOS is one of the best cast performances I have ever seen. The performance making the film it was.




But the real star of 'The Fault In Our Stars' is the book-writer himself. The beautiful story is perfectly told by Green, and the plot made me want to watch the film and read the book countless amount's of time. The story has many twists, turns, ups and downs as well as many romantic moments that make you're heart melt. You just can't predict what will happen next, and the film is such an emotional rollercoaster I didn't know what to say.

But with every positive in a book there's a negative. Honestly, I can't really think of many negatives except one, which though isn't a film breaker was a bit of a heartbreak. Personally, when watching it I found they left out some of my favourite parts of the book. Okay I appreciate that a lot of the book was missed out, but why oh why did the writers of the film miss out the part about the swing set advertisement or delete it during the final cut? Even though it wasn't a huge part of the movie, the cuteness and humour swung it to be one of my favourite parts of the book (note the pun haha.)

But aside from that, I honestly cannot fault 'The Fault in Our Stars.' The film is everything I hoped it would be and more, and definitely worth the money spent on the cinema. The acting, plot, connection, humour, heartbreaks and emotions in the film were all outstanding, and I don't know what else to say except if you haven't seen it I don't know what you're doing with your life.

                   It was faultless.

No comments:

Post a Comment